Classic Mushroom Burger
CLASSIC MUSHROOM BURGER
Serving: 4 people
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Romaine Lettuce
- 4 big buns
- 2 pieces Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the hot oil and season with salt, black pepper, and oregano. Cook and stir mushroom mixture until mushrooms have given up their juice and the juice has almost evaporated, about 10 minutes. Transfer cooked mushrooms to a cutting board and chop into small chunks with a knife.
- Transfer mushrooms to a large bowl. Mix in rolled oats and bread crumbs; taste for salt and black pepper and add more to taste. Stir in the beaten eggs. Let mixture stand for the crumbs to soak up excess liquid, about 15 minutes. (At this point you can refrigerate the mixture to cook later if desired.) Moisten hands with a little vegetable oil or water, pick up about 1/4 cup of mixture, and form into burgers.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and pan-fry burgers until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Once mushroom patties are cooked, assemble the following ingredients into burger buns: Romaine lettuce, tomatoes and buns. Serve.