GYUDON RICE BOWL
Servings: 4 people
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 2 medium onions (very thinly sliced)
- 500g Beef - very thinly sliced beef
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup dashi stock or beef or chicken stock
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups cooked white rice (short grain or medium grain preferred)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat, and cook the sliced onions for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the beef and sugar, and cook until the beef is slightly browned. Add the mirin, soy sauce, and stock. Bring to a simmer, and cook for about 10-15 minutes to reduce the stock into a thin sauce. Taste for seasoning, and add a little more soy sauce if needed.
- Meanwhile, add water in a pot and add the eggs when the water starts to boil. Cook for 5-6 minutes till it’s soft-boiled.
- When the beef is done simmering, divide the rice among 4 bowls, and top with the beef and an egg for each bowl. Garnish with chopped spring onions and cucumber.